Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Just a Spoon Full of Sugar...

I'm not much of a cook. I've got a handful of recipes down that I know by heart and a bunch more that, it's safe to say, I could improvise decently if I had to. But, let's be honest, I avoid cooking (and I do not consider eggs, omelets, grilled cheese, or heating up canned soups on the stove cooking) like the black plague. It's such a chore to me. I'd rather wash the woodwork in my entire house with a toothbrush before I'd take on the task of cleaning a chicken.

Now, baking on the other hand - well let's just say if it involves chocolate chips I'm all for it. But it still doesn't mean that I'd jump at the chance to whip up a batch of cookies either. No, I am not my mother's daughter. I am not a cook, a baker...or a candlestick maker (sorry couldn't help it). I do not seek out happiness from whipping up ingredients in a large bowl mostly because I cannot live in that moment. When I cook I am all too aware of the amount of cleaning that is to come soon after. And where's the fun in that?

Still, there is something beautiful and awe-inspiring about crafting an apple pie, crust and all, from scratch. My grandmother is quite skilled in the pie making department and for years I've been meaning to sit in on one of her crust making afternoons. Learning the recipe by watching her busy hands rather than it reading some old dusty cook book. Besides, part of the charm of cooking or baking is in carrying out the tradition; doing something the way your elders did before you. Isn't it? So, for today, for this Wednesday, I want to learn that tradition and carry it on...with an industrial strength dishwasher at an arm's length that is.


shown above: Matryoshka Russian Nesting Doll Measuring Cups from Neatorama

No comments:

Post a Comment