Monday, January 18, 2010

Under Pressure



I tend to keep this blog all happy and light; fun girly stuff. So, you'll have to excuse my return to real life for a moment with today's post, but I'm finding that my stress level about the state of our planet has been growing exponentially lately. Environmentally our planet is stressed. Species become extinct, fresh drinkable water gets depleted, polluted, green space is running out. Our society is breaking down all around us. Our country's infrastructure is falling apart and for a developed nation we have one of the highest rates of child poverty in the world. And, I'm kind of feeling very heavy with the world's problems this morning and just as I was about to shake that yucky feeling and distract myself with something light and girly it dawned on me that I'm nearing 30. I'm an adult now and the time for distractions is just not an option anymore.

I am not one for New Year's resolutions, but I am one for making committed changes. So, from this day on I will be taking my mother's advice (shhhh, don't tell her!) and I will become a proactive citizen of my country, my planet, and my species. Every day I start will start with this one thing in mind...


What will you do today? Small changes around your own house? Volunteer work in your community? Let each day be new, be fresh. Surprise yourself and love more - you, your planet, and your fellow mankind. I know I will and just that thought...makes me feel a whole lot lighter already.

No comments:

Post a Comment